Friday, February 6, 2009

Knife # 8

This was the first knife I made for a customer! He provided the handle material, which is a antelope horn, and chose the blade shape. He had told his son when he got the antelope that he would some day get a knife made out of that horn and give it to him. I decided that, for a sentimental project like this, I would be willing to take it on. The blade is 0.25" thick 440C stainless, heat treated by TKS. The guard and pin are brass. I did arrows as the file work, and made a stamp for the sheath, because he is a bow hunter and I thought that would be fitting on his hunting knife. The fur on the danglers are 2xelk with feathers, and one moose. This was my first attempt at these and I think they came out pretty good. He requested a calf sheath, so I made a short belt to go around the leg, above the calf, which fastens to the sheath with a snap, and included a leather strap to lash the bottom of the sheath down so it doesn't bounce around.
I again learned a ton on this knife! how not to dry leather, continued honing my polishing and sharpening techniques, and especially learned that I am not good at this when I have to hurry to meet a solid delivery date! I tend to screw a lot of stuff up! :) so, no more delivery dates that I cant make:)
Thanks for your business Randy!! enjoy!








No comments: