Thursday, August 18, 2011

Completely Hand Made

This knife I am pretty proud of. The only power tool I used on it was a drill to start the holes in the guard, spacers and butt cap. The rest was done completely by hand. I forged the blade to shape from a worn out file. I flattened the sides by draw filing, filing, then sanding. The blade was clay coated and heat treated to give it a hamon. I brought it out by polishing the blade down to a fine grit paper then etching and polishing with paste and repeating the etch and paste polish ~15 times. The handle is elk antler that a friend who owns a local taxidermy shop.
The sheath I built from rawhide in the style of John Cohea. The tassels are moose and elk fir, and the claw is a talon from a red tail hawk.
Unfortunately the photos did not turn out the greatest, but trust me, it is impressive!!

Cody, I hope you enjoy it!!






1 comment:

Eugene Smith said...

It looks impressive, you should be proud. Well done.